When the first Passionists set foot on American soil in 1852, there were only 31 states. The country was still very young. However, several decades of immigration meant a steadily growing Catholic population. There was much work to be done.
The Passionist Chapel Car brought the Mass and Catholic instruction to rural North Carolinians, including Black Catholics and non-Catholics in the 1920s and 1930s. The priest in this photo is Fr. Luke Hay, C.P. This photo was taken at the 1932 Catholic Daughters of America Convention in Atlantic City, NJ.
With this virtual gallery we are making some of the treasures of our Passionist heritage, especially here in North America accessible to everyone.
The Passionist Historical Archives is the repository for uniquely valuable records which document the history of the Congregation of the Passion in the United States of America from the arrival of the first Passionists in 1852 to the present day. Please consider a donation to help support the work of the archives. For more information, please contact: Father Robert Carbonneau, C.P.
The Sign magazine was a national, Catholic monthly publication from 1921 to 1982. The founder and editor until 1934 was Fr. Harold Purcell, C.P.
This is the cover and editorial of the inaugural issue – 1921